Saturday, June 29, 2013

Ever had a hard time explaining your occupation to others? If you do, count me in!

There were countless times when i had a hard time explaining what i work as. In short, it would be "I work in a lab". But the general stereotype people would have towards lab work are usually the conventional research lab or pathology lab where blood screening is performed eg. BP Lab. It's never like "Hi, I actually work as a Lab Scientist" and people will say "Ohhh i kinda have an idea of what you do". I usually get a blank stare and then i spend the next 5-10 minutes explaining in lay men's term to people about my work.

I guess it's never easy when you work at something so new as what my lab does, unconventional and moreover one of a kind lab in Malaysia. In short, I am a Laboratory Scientist/Cell Culturist in Human Initiated Therapeutic Vaccine (HITV) Lab for Cancer Immunotherapeutics. If you notice, it's HITV as i get 9/10 people mistakenly thinks that i work in HIV Lab. To save you from all the details, what i do is i take your cells, i culture and put it back into you to fight your cancer cells.

A fascinating piece of technology!


No comments:

Post a Comment