Thursday, June 27, 2013

Love of My Grandfather

When I was young, I grew up around my grandfather and would follow him wherever he goes. Sadly, I only had the chance to know him till I was 13 that's why I don't have much memory of him. But i do remember some of the moments i had with him.

My grandfather was a really simple man who will always put others before him and he wouldn't mind sacrificing his time doing things that others wouldn't notice. In those days when i was done attending Main Church's sunday school, i would run to the sanctuary to look for him. Every Sunday he would be there collecting used bulletins after the service and would do it without fail. He was almost 80 at that time. I've always wondered why he does it even though he wasn't the usher. It was much later did i understand that serving God does not require appointment, position nor qualification. My grandfather showed me that even though he wasn't highly educated, he could still serve God in a simple way.

I was so close to him that i was afraid of losing him. Whenever i was with him at a church member's funeral, i would fear, fear that he will be gone someday too. I never wanted that day to come. The day when i held his hand for the last time, he was already semi-conscious. As i whispered to him, he held my hands really tight. He knew i was talking to him. But because i was afraid to face the truth of losing him, i ran from his bedside.

I wished he would have lived longer so i could have the chance to take care of him like how he cared for me.

Thank you for being a part of what makes me who i am today. I shall meet you again in heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment